Children's Eye Care
Special care for the health of young eyes
Everywhere a child’s eyes look they’re seeing something for the first time. It’s up to you to make sure they are seeing everything as clearly and vividly as possible.
Trust your Doctor of Optometry at or next to your neighbourhood Pearle Vision for your children’s vision sooner rather than later to help make sure they don’t miss a thing.
What to watch out for:
- Rubbing of the eyes
- Frequent headaches
- Holding objects or books unusually close or far away
- Excessive blinking
- Favoring one eye by covering it or turning their head
- Eyes that are not aligned or are not working together
- Red, swollen or encrusted eyes
- Recurring sties or infections on eyelids
If you notice any of these signs in your children, arrange an eye exam* at the Independent Doctor of Optometry at or next to your neighbourhood Pearle Vision as soon as possible. Call 1-800-YES-EYES or use our store locator to find the address and phone number of the Independent Doctor of Optometry* nearest you.
When should my children have their vision checked?
- Birth to 24 months: By 6 months, or as recommended by their doctor
- Toddlers: At 3 years old is generally good time to come back in
- 6 and older: Before first grade and annually thereafter
Eyes need sunblock too
Children are especially vulnerable to damaging UV rays because they typically spend longer amounts of time outdoors. If your child already wears eyeglasses, we offer free testing to determine if they’re getting enough UV protection. If they are not, you should add UV-blocking lenses to their glasses.
If your doctor* determines your child needs eyeglasses, we have a wide selection of glasses and frames designed specifically for kids and their active lifestyles, including protective eyewear:
- Polycarbonate lenses** are lightweight, impact- and scratch-resistant lenses perfectly suited for active kids (and active adults too).
- Polycarbonate** safety glasses offer superior comfort and UV protection for children. All of our kidSAFE protective eyewear includes 100% UV protection.
** No lenses are 100% shatterproof or unbreakable.